Team Boomer

Saturday, April 24, 2010
Tomorrow I will run for the first time as a member of Team Boomer. I plan on displaying some of my new training items proudly to show everyone who I'm running with. Granted, the New York City Marathon isn't until November, but now is the time to start showing my colors! So even though I don't expect much tomorrow at the La Jolla Half Marathon, it is a start on my trek toward the NYC Marathon.

Ronnie over at Run Sick Boy Run posted an article about Boomer Esiason and his son, Gunnar, who has cystic fibrosis. The crazy thing is that I remember when Gunnar was diagnosed. I don't remember the specifics, of course. I just remember watching a game and the sportscaster saying something like, "Boomer and his family just found out that their son Gunnar has a horrible disease." Little did I know that someday I would also learn about this horrible disease.

I'm grateful for the work that Boomer and his family have done to push forward for a cure. Boomer has so much more than I have in the way of resources, contacts, funds, etc. It makes my yearly fundraising activity look pretty small.

But I have a daughter named Samantha who has a horrible disease. I'm a runner planning on taking on the NYC Marathon in the fall. I am very glad to join Team Boomer in the quest to end this disease. Go Team Boomer! Go Team Sam!

0 comments: