Doctor Takes his own Medicine

Wednesday, January 7, 2009
I read a fascinating story from ABC News about a doctor who is literally now taking his own medicine. Dr. William Howatt, now retired, used to take care of children, some of whom had cystic fibrosis. After being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, he suddenly lost the ability to produce digestive enzymes...just like his former patients.
"It's sort of ironic because the same medicines I used to prescribe for cystic fibrosis patients, I'm now taking," said Howatt.
Very few people actually live to fight pancreatic cancer as long as Dr. Howatt has, and that is a blessing.

Alicia and I are blessed to have a great doctor who is very proactive about attacking her disease. I trust that Dr. Howatt was this type of doctor in his practice, and I'm glad to hear that now science is helping him.

0 comments: