Why I wear red Shoes

Thursday, March 29, 2012
Ever since I started my training for my first half marathon back in 2009, I have worn running shoes that had at least a hint of red on them. The picture above is my newest pair that I purchased to start training for the Chicago Marathon for this October. I don't expect these shoes to last me until October since I'll be putting a lot of miles on them by that point, but they will get me through an arduous training program. As July and August near, I will need a new pair (sorry honey), and hopefully I'll be able to find a pair I like that have red on them.

Why red? Simply put, red is Samantha’s favorite color. Why do I wear it? Because the marathon isn't for me, it's for her. Yes, it will help me with my weight issues (if I train correctly) and satisfy the itch to perform and compete, but the bottom line is that I'm raising money to fight her cystic fibrosis by running this marathon.

So the red is a reminder that, with each step I take in training, I'm a little bit closer to ending her disease. Someday, maybe not all that far away, I will be able to say with a high degree of certainty, that we found a cure. Then I'll have to run marathons for another organization, and I'll find a good color for that one too.

0 comments: