Cystic Fibrosis Awareness Month

Monday, May 4, 2009
It's that time of the year! Most CF Chapters in the USA will be conducting Great Strides this month, and San Diego is no exception. Of course it's perfect that it coincides with Cystic Fibrosis Awareness Month.


So on March 16th, with me at sea somewhere, Alicia, our kids, and some of our loving friends will be taking part in Great Strides at DeAnza Cove in San Diego. I am sad that I won't be there, but I have a great team of supporters on the ship who have made great efforts to understand more about the disease that affects my daughter.


Since this is all about awareness for our cause, I am grateful for the fact that, even on deployment, my fellow sailors are interested in my family and our fight against CF. I just had a guy ask me how my daughter was doing while we ate dinner on the mess decks. He's not on our fundraising team...he's just a sailor, and that's what we do. We're all in the same mess right now. All of us miss our families, all of us want to be home.


So I'm grateful. As May comes into focus, I am grateful for those who have become aware of my family's fight against CF. That's the most important thing of all.

0 comments: